BSCW helps you
o to find objects (documents, folders, etc.) in your workspaces, calendar, clipboard or trash based on any metadata available;
o to submit a query to the Google search engine.
Independent of the type of your search, you may either store the results permanently in BSCW or not. Permanent search folders are useful when a particular search is to be repeated at a later point in time. Permanent search folders form a separate BSCW object type.
You create a permanent and named search folder, that contains the list of hits of your query and that is stored in the current folder, as follows.
• Select File New Search Folder in the top menu bar to bring up the ‘Add Search Folder’ form.
• Enter the name of the search folder to be created (this is not yet your query!). Select your search domain from the list offered. After clicking [OK] the ‘Edit Query’ form is displayed where you specify your respective query. The entries in this form depend on the type of search that you have selected. In all types of searches, upper and lower case in search terms are not distinguished
You carry out a search where the results are stored in a temporary search folder as follows.
• Select File Search in the top menu bar and specify your type of search by choosing either, in Your Documents , in BSCW , in Tags , for Users or in the Web .
• Continue as described for searching with permanent results.
Even after having carried out a search with temporary results, you may decide to have the results stored permanently (see ‘Special actions in search folders’ below).
Each time you carry out a search with temporary results, the ‘Edit Query’ form will in general be filled in with values that you used last time when doing such a search; if the values differ you may restore the values by clicking [Last query]. In the same form, you can access the results of your last search (if any) by clicking [Last results].
In a search folder, the following additional actions are offered.
• Select File Edit Query to repeat your search with a modified query.
• Select File Redo Search to repeat your search with an unmodified query.
• Select File Save to Clipboard to store temporary search results in a permanent search folder. After you have entered the name for the permanent search folder, it will appear in your clipboard, from where you may paste it to a suitable folder.
• Select File More Hits to collect additional hits from the search engine and to append them to the hits in the search folder (only for Web searches).
All these actions are also available from the context menu of the search folder.