Communities are managed by the community managers, i.e. the managers of the associated community workspace. The basic management functions include:
o inviting users to a community,
o renaming a community,
o changing the community role,
o changing the community admission policy,
o removing members from a community,
o removing a community as member from the community workspace, which also destroys the community.
For accessing a community you
• click the icon in the ‘Share’ column of the community workspace entry. This displays the members of the community workspace including the community.
As a community manager you may now invite other users to the community by
• selecting Access Invite Member in the action menu of the community.
If you want to turn members of the community workspace into members of the community,
• select these members by ticking the check boxes in front of the respective member entries and click in the multi-selection toolbar. This action may change the access rights of the members concerned if their role as workspace member is different from the community role. Note that workspace owners cannot be turned into community members this way; they have to be additionally invited as community members.
The info page of a community does not show its members for performance reasons. Also, a community is per default not accessible to its members, i.e. community members cannot open a community to view its list of members; this is reserved for managers and members of the community workspace. As a community manager you may remove this restriction by editing the community member role to allow the ‘Open’ action (see 4.6.4 Defining and re-defining roles).
When a community is created, it has the same name as the associated community workspace. If you want to announce the community to other users in the ‘Other Communities’ folder under a name different from the name of the community workspace, you can rename the community independently of the community workspace name by
• selecting Change Name in the action menu of the community.
The community role, i.e. the role in which the community members access the community workspace, may be changed by
• selecting Access Assign Role in the action menu of the community or the community workspace and inviting the community in a different role.
Note that communities cannot become owners of the associated community workspaces.
The admission policy of a community may be changed by
• selecting Access Admission Policy in the action menu of the community.
You may remove members from a community by
• first clicking on the community entry to have its members’ page displayed and
• then selecting the community members to be removed by ticking the check boxes in front of their entries and clicking in the multi-selection toolbar.
You may remove the whole community as member from a workspace by
• selecting Access Remove in the action menu of the community. This action also destroys the community. If the community has members, you are asked in the ‘Remove Member’ form whether you prefer to remove all members from the community before deletion or to move them to the member group of the associated community workspace, i.e. make them members of this workspace in the community role.
Note that not only managers of the community workspace can remove the community from the workspace member group, but also members of the community workspace in the role Member.