You can create and edit text documents (MIME type
text/plain) directly on the BSCW server without
restrictions. The text editor used is a simple text box where the contents of
the document are displayed and may be entered and edited.
To create a text document
• . menu of the current folder.
• Enter name, optional tags and description of the new document. Enter the text of the document into the text box offered.
• Hit [OK] to create the document.
To edit a text document directly on the BSCW server,
• select Change Edit in the action menu of the document.
• The contents of the text document are displayed in a text box where you may edit the document freely.
• By hitting [OK], the edited document replaces the existing one or creates a new version if the document is under version control.
• During document creation (either via upload or directly on the server), the character set of the document has been either explicitly set or has been inferred from the creator’s browser information. In the latter case, a check box ‘Try to select the character set for contents of a text file automatically’ appears. If you uncheck this box after editing and hit [OK], you will be asked to explicitly set the character set for the document. Next time you edit the document, this check box will no longer appear. You can also explicitly set the character set via Change Properties .
In addition to plain text documents, direct editing is also
possible for other types of text documents, e.g. for XML documents
text/xml). Because of the primitive nature of the
editing method, direct editing of text documents is only recommended for rather