You can create and edit HTML documents (MIME type
text/html) directly on the BSCW server. With some recent Web
browsers, e.g. Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer 6.0 and up, an HTML editor
is being used that has been integrated into BSCW. Should you use a browser that
does not work with the integrated editor, e.g. Konqueror, Opera or Safari,
HTML documents are edited like ordinary text documents.
To create an HTML document
• select File New HTML Document in the top menu of the current folder.
• Enter name, optional tags and description of the new document. Enter the contents of the document into the window of the HTML editor.
• Hitting [OK] or invoking the editor ‘Save’ operation creates the new HTML document.
• If you click on [Cancel and edit source] you lose your input so far and can enter the HTML document in source text, i.e. with HTML tags.
To edit an HTML document directly on the server
• select Change Edit in the action menu of the document.
• The contents of the HTML document are displayed in the window of the HTML editor where you may edit the document freely.
• By hitting [OK], the edited document replaces the existing one or creates a new version if the document is under version control.
• If you click on [Cancel and edit source] you lose your input so far and can edit the HTML document as source text.
• During creation of the HTML document (either via upload or directly on the server), the character set of the document has been either explicitly set or has been inferred from the creator’s browser information. In the latter case, a check box ‘Try to select the character set for contents of a text file automatically’ appears when the HTML document is edited in source text. If you uncheck this box after editing and hit [OK], you will be asked to explicitly set the character set for the HTML document. Next time you edit the HTML document in source, this check box will no longer appear. You can also explicitly set the character set via Change Properties .